Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Well, five weeks into summer vacation, four and a half to go..then another LONG school year!

If I'm to be perfectly honest, which I always am to a fault, I dread the first day of school for my 16 year old on September9th.  I dread all the papers that are sent home to be signed, the lunch forms, the class "contracts" which essentially to me are a pure waste of time as well as paper.  Class contracts become quite commonplace in high school when young adults typically are able to understand that they must be responsible and comply with all the detailed policies, which of course will differ from teacher to teacher.  To a young adult on the spectrum or ADHD, it is wordy, petty, generic, a waste, but yet requires their signature..it often counts as a homework credit!   To a special needs teen, all they really want and care about is an "unwritten" contract, aka meaningful promise from the teacher they will face, not knowing if the teacher will "get them" or not; it's all in the throw of the dice. Ideas for this contract for a teen on the spectrum would read as follows,  I will teach you to the best of my ability.  I will take a moment to notice when you are lost and tuning out, and redirect you the best I can during lessons.  I will do this with dignity and with a gentle touch or soft demeanor, not to mortify you in front of 30 other students.  I will understand when tests are becoming a huge problem, and may need to be modified in format or length, and will trust in what the paraprofessional says works best for you.  I will even go so far as to assure a copy of material you may miss because you were "out" for counseling during my class or having a mini meltdown or needed that five minute break in the hall to regroup.  And of course, I will allow extra time for homework(which I promise NOT to overload you as I know you just barely get through 6 hours of pure sensory and cognitive bombardment).  I'll go even further and actually read, interpret and FOLLOW your mandates on your IEP!  Now that's a contract worth paper! 

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts about the upcoming school year for my teenaged son.

    ReplyDelete